Posted on September 07 2016
How can you not fall in love with Herkimer Diamonds? Their sparkly high shine, interesting inclusions and slight edge make them one of my favorite stones. So what exactly is a Herkimer Diamond anyway?
- They're not actually diamonds but a form of really clear crystal quartz that's only found in Herkimer County, New York and the Mohawk River Valley.
- They're called "diamonds" not only because of their clarity, but also because when they are found, they look like someone faceted them—but they are naturally "faceted" with double termination points.
- In the late 18th century workers cutting into the valleys Dolostone discovered them in large quantities and geologist began mining there.
- Other double-pointed quartz crystals have been found in abundance in Tibet and Afghanistan, as well as in other countries, but cannot be considered Herkimer "diamonds" and generally do not have the same high quality or shine as a true Herkimer.
- These high energy, powerhouse crystals encourage new beginnings, clear the mind of unconscious fears and allow for expansion of life energy.
- Looking to maintain connection when you're apart from the ones you love? Herkimers help you attune to another, hold the stones together then each of you retains one.
- You can infuse them with love, well being or any well wished you desire and can always draw upon these wishes in times of need.
I love the idea of giving Herkimers to close friends, as a token of commitment or even as an alternative option for a wedding ring.
I'm so excited to announce that the new Herkimer Diamond collection is now availale online! Check it out here